Oct 23, 2009

What would balloon boy do?


Oh, balloon boy, I've been thinking about you. I've been imagining you in my memoir workshop 20 years from now,  30 years from now.

In the derby of fucked-up childhoods, you just might win.

Oh, balloon boy. I grew up among Californians who waited for aliens. Sometimes I thought they were so crazy, so blood-thirsty. But the reality-TV vampires wait for you with much more anger, much more zeal.

Balloon boy, I hope you didn't get in too much trouble for blurting the family secret to Wolf Blitzer. You were only six. And, you know what? They had it coming. 

Someone had to stop the madness, stop the bullshit. You were only six, balloon boy, but you did it. You are my hero.

Speak truth to power, as the Quakers say. Speak it on CNN, kid.

You are my hero, balloon boy.

Whenever I think, Wow, it would be easier to lie right now, I will think of you.

What would balloon boy do?

Balloon boy would tell the truth.

I just heard a beautiful and fucked-up song about you, balloon boy.  You might like it.

You can listen to it HERE.

But of course it isn't really a song about you. It's a song about the rest of us. It's a song about all the CNN-watchers and the CNN-reporters and the people who cannot deal with the pain of their own lives looking, watching, hoping for the worst.

But you are the best, balloon boy.

You are the very best.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mullet Over said...

My heart is blowing up like a big silver balloon. Thank you, thank you, thank you for listening and for sharing. THANK YOU!!!

I love your work and you are a true Sister Mama!

9:46 PM  
Blogger Mullet Over said...

I am also so excited that you GOT this song. A

nd what you have written is really an inspiring view of this poor kids situation. He knows in his heart what is right, despite abusive and horrid parenting, and just can't hide his feelings. Thanks for the reminder to be true Ariel.....and Balloon Boy!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Orly Taitz said...

balloon boy is free! free at last! fly, balloon boy, fly!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous darin said...

W.W.B.B.D?

Make it into a campaign and sell bracelets.

8:36 PM  
Blogger alohajerseygirl said...

I like this piece, Ariel. Really pointed and poignant.

6:36 PM  
Blogger ericaoherica said...

I am going to ask myself that question again and again. Thanks for posing it.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home