Oct 12, 2009

gnash your terrible teeth

Maurice Sendak is cracking me up.

from Amy Graff at sfgate:
Maurice Sendak tells parents to go to hell

This Friday, October 16, the movie adaptation of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are opens in theaters.

The poignant 10-sentence book about an angry boy who is sent to bed without supper and sails to a magical land overrun by wild creatures has been made into a full-length feature film with a script by director Spike Jonze (recently interviewed by the Chronicle) and local boy Dave Eggers.

Ever since the media got word of the film, reporters have hounded Sendak, Eggers, and Jonze. One of the main questions reporters are asking is, Will this film based on one of the best children's books of all-time be appropriate for children?

The creative minds behind this film have seemed to dance around this question in most interviews, but Sendak freely spoke his mind for a Newsweek story, appearing in the October 19 magazine. Sendak, Jonze, and Eggers were all interviewed for the story.

Reporter: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"

Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

Reporter: "Because kids can handle it?"

Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants. Do whatever you like. But it's not a question that can be answered."

Jonze: "Dave, you want to field that one?"

Eggers: "The part about kids wetting their pants? Should kids wear diapers when they go to the movies? I think adults should wear diapers going to it, too. I think everyone should be prepared for any eventuality."

Sendak: "I think you're right. This concentration on kids being scared, as though we as adults can't be scared. Of course we're scared. I'm scared of watching a TV show about vampires. I can't fall asleep. It never stops. We're grown-ups; we know better, but we're afraid."

Reporter: "Why is that important in art?"

Sendak: "Because it's truth. You don't want to do something that's all terrifying. I saw the most horrendous movies that were unfit for child's eyes. So what? I managed to survive."

5 Comments:

Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Well - he is funny though I'm not sure how I feel about that. I definitely think some things are too scary for kids, but we're definitely going to see the movie, too.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous edwin sanchez said...

I grew up on this book and will be seeing it with my children in 2 weeks.

7:25 AM  
Blogger NessNixAnthony said...

I'm totally digging Sendak on all of this too! You know the history is that his book originally had an agonizingly hard time being published for the very same reasons= people thought it was too harsh and scary for kids. Then when it finally was published it took a couple years to gain popularity and it was because the kids were checking it out like crazy at the libraries that librarians began to talk about and promote the book. We all need to give kids some credit they understand and handle a lot more than many folks give them credit for. . .and besides I agree with Sendak- I'm scared and can't sleep at night from certain movies as an adult- it is a human condition not just something to consider for children. Parenting means talking about these things with your kids and being prepared to walk out if it seems too much for them. Wouldn't you do the same for yourself? We'll be watching it with my little one at home- he's too small for movie theaters- can't sit still. But I will tell you this- he LOVES Coraline and I've had tons of people say to me: Isn't that kind of scary for a little one? Yeah, maybe there are scary parts but he likes it and seems to get that it's ok to have a little scary here and there.

Anyway- love Sendak and Eggers and Jonze for doing it all with the same attitude as the man and the story that they are trying to pay homage to. Kudos.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

It looks like an interesting movie.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For folks in SF, the Contemporary Jewish Museum has a Sendak show going until Jan2010. (It's also free tomorrow, Sunday, Oct 17.) It is amazing.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home