Aug 31, 2009

Two!

Maximilian turned two & started owning his "nope!" real good, and flinging himself toward certain danger at every chance, and howling when parental hands pull him back.

I remember this stage from my last kid--but back then I cried that I must be a bad mama when my friends sighed "kids today," and waiters sneered, and acquaintances hummed "no child of mine would ever..."

Now I just wish them and their imaginary well-behaved children well.

I know there are probably a hundred and one ways to be a better mama than me, but I have been thinking about it for a long time and haven't come up with many of them.

So I guess I'm just going to be me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ariel, I know this well. And, I struggled with letting my baby girl "do her" without allowing the judgment of others to spill on to me. It is always so easy when your child is not in a crazy tantrum demanding stage to think, my kid would never act like that! I have had hard times with my smallest on, busy B, but I have learned so much about myself along the way, and who I want around me as well.

I have your back! And, should Max ever throw a fit in my presence, I will calmly step over him, grab the wine and (we shall)laugh.

XOXO
shell

7:48 AM  
Anonymous heather said...

you are so awesome. definitely just be you. and thanks for the reminder!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ariel, like you I have a teenager and a just-about-to-turn-two - it's so interesting living it again at a different stage in my life. I think when you're a young mama, people are quick to judge you, or you assume they are and it makes you a bit defensive. I know that coloured my older child's toddler years somewhat. Now I am full of weary acceptance, both of myself and the craziness of toddlerdom. One of the good things about getting older :-)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

Go, you.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your the best mama in my book. an amazing influence.

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home