Oct 20, 2009

Cancer doesn't really have a bright side

Looking for that space between false cheeriness and existential depression

The idea for the happiness journal came from a little book called A Life of One's Own written by the British psychoanalyst Marion Milner and published under the pseudonym Joanna Field in the 1930s. Milner's idea was that if she recorded the best moments in her daily life, she might begin to trace patterns from those moments and discover the conditions for lasting happiness. 

My own habit had always been to write about the things that ticked me off in a given day. If I kept a journal at all, I kept it to vent.

I had learned to analyze the darkness beautifully. Why not try the opposite? 

read more

6 Comments:

Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I'm sorry, Ariel. Love to you and your family.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Amber finn said...

I am so very sorry, Ariel.

<3

12:43 PM  
Blogger mo said...

My heart goes out to you. I am holding back tears in front of my six year old.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sending all the warm and fuzzy vibes to you and your family.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Bah! :( I am sorry to hear this news, Ariel. Much less than 3 (<3) to you and your family.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry doesn't adequately express how I feel...I really don't know what to say. Much love to you, your family and your mom. You have so many people that love you, I hope you can feel it.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home