Mar 10, 2006

Foreword

Excerpted from The Traveling Death and Resurrection Show

Deliver us from sour-faced saints.
--Teresa of Avila


My name is Frances Catherine, a.k.a. Frankka--Saint Cat onstage. With names like these I guess it goes without saying that I'm Catholic. Or I was Catholic. Raised Catholic, as they say. Lapsed Catholic or recovering Catholic, like it's some kind of drug you have to quit cold turkey. Twelve steps and maybe you'll be free of the guilt that clangs like church bells. Newborn original sin washed away by a priest and I'm the only one who's mucked it up since then: Sinner, impure, forgive me, it's all my fault.

Was Catholic? Dream on. Fallen or faithful, what are you going to do? You're given a mythology in this life, the way you're given a body, a family, a country. You can reject it if you like--starve it, laugh in its face, run away into exile--but it's still your mythology. There's always the chance for redemption.

Things can happen so fast. One moment things are one way and the next it's all completely different--
bam--like some kind of mystical car crash and you're so turned around you can't even pinpoint the exact moment of impact. Was there a single moment of impact? What about warning signs? Nothing happens without a prophecy.

I'll tell you a story.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Ariel, you might try to learn something about Catholicism by attending the Church's most holy services of the year taking place during Holy Week beginning April 10. May I suggest attending the Chrism Mass on Monday the 10th at St Mary Cathedral in Portland. It begins at 7 pm. (But call to be sure.) Get there at least a half hour early. It's majestic; it's magnificent. We believe in the utter realness of this myth, Ariel. During this Chrism Mass, the Bishop blesses all the Holy Oils that then get dispensed to the myriad Catholic parishes througout the archdiocese. These Holy Oils are used for three of the seven sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation, and the Anointing of the Sick (formerly known as Last Rites.) I cannot say enough about this beautiful, faith-inspiring Mass. The music, the pomp, utterly humbling, and awesome in the real sense of the word, awe. You should go at least for the historical/aesthetic aspect of it. I promise you joy. And of course my hope is that you will desist making fun of the Church the way that you do. Something tells me you're really missing something in your life. Also, my dear, try any Holy Thursday Catholic Service in the region. Your more traditional Churches are the most beautiful for this service, but any will do for you. Holy Thursday is the day before Christ died, the Last Supper when He washed the feet of the disciples. It's a sad but inspiring Mass. Good Friday, nice too, but no Mass on that day. Do your research. It's worth your time. These rites are ancient and deserve some study. Good luck to you, and blessings always!(And if I see you at the Chrism Mass I will be sure and say Hello to you!)

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home