Feb 5, 2010

Happiness is a beautiful woman, a ukelele, red curtains, pendant lamps, and absinthe...

Linda Rand reflects on being a part of the research for Bluebird:

It has definitely changed me.  When I was participating in Ariel's happiness project, I realized the emotion happiness co-existed with other emotions.  It wasn't some rarefied state to attain... that I could be sad or depressed but find that little joy within myself, at being alive, or having a home, or beautiful kids...

Since then I've been using it as a sort of barometer of where I'm at...or an internal compass of sorts:)  when I'm lost I follow the thread of joy and end up back on my path.  today my life is less frustrated and compromised.  I'm an artist who makes marionettes and mixed media and have sold pieces, including commissions for about a year.  I had more bartender jobs than I could keep and have whittled it down to two places. One is a retro supper club and lounge where I am surrounded by amazingly talented people. When I first walked into the place there was a '30s hot jazz act (Midnight Serenaders), a beautiful woman in garters and a ukelele, red curtains, pendant lamps, absinthe, and I thought, "this place is for me," and I ended up working there within the month. To this day, when I'm confused intellectually (the mind is a great tool but a terrible master some wise soul said) I find that feeling... is it happiness or something else? Is it restriction, dread... numbness?  then I know whether it's right or wrong.... at least I have a clue.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mullet Over said...

I finally got started on the book and realized immediately that I NEED this book, RIGHT NOW! Yes, I am shouting. I am blazing my way into creative fruition, and out of a marriage, and into a better more loving situation with my children. But its really, really hard. The studies, data, and real women's experiences are going to help me stay on the good path through all of this. I like these blog posts going along with the reading of the book too. Its very helpful. I wasn't looking for a self help book, but I guess I am getting some help from it so THANKS!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home