Feb 3, 2010

A slight shift in consciousness

For Bluebird, I asked women to keep happiness journals--just simple notes about the best moments in each day. We all then met and talked about our experience, and about happiness.

Now, many months later, I asked some of the women who participated in the research to reflect on the experience.

Roslyn Farrington says this:
I really loved the process.  I love that we all independently got the same assignment and then when we came together it was lovely to see how everyone took on the task and interpreted the homework.  For me, it helped me to see more clearly how I had been unconciously thinking of and practicing happiness as somethig that comes from outside of me rather than cultivating a "spirit of happiness" that was based on my internal relationship with myself.  I intellectually knew that happiness came from within, but the daily tracking of feelings of happiness helped me to know that I wasn't always living what I knew.  So the shift for me was a slight shift in consciousness and attention.

1 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

The idea of happiness being inside of us resonates with me. I've been practicing mindfulness, and I came upon a meditation on which you meditate upon your life being inside of you. I kept thinking that when I got to a certain 'place' I would be happy. Now when I think that my life is inside of me, I feel much more content. What I desire, I carry within.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home